Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Sand-In-My-Shorts: Week 7--Thing 17

First, I think the "Sandbox" exercise was flawed, and not because of the problems with the Maryland Libraries' site. If I'm understanding the concept of a "Sandbox" correctly, it's supposed to be open for many people to add to/change, etc. The "Sandbox" designated for us is basically a run-on blog. The rules strongly discourage (read: prohibit) changing, deleting, and/or editing another's entry. Exactly how is that supposed to convey the feel of and participation in a wiki?

Initially I considered posting a faux program--I was loving the idea of Pimp My Pram (for those of you on this side of the pond--a pram is a baby carriage, though, of-course I would have included strollers in my program.) Along the idea of Pimp My Bookcart, proud parents could enjoy testing/seeing all the pimp-potential toys in our collection. I'd also include information on where to buy the best cup holders, Wiggles hi-def, and tinting options for bug netting. And for the parents desperately in need of self-validation through the exploitation of their children: Pimpfants attire.

Again, allow me to reiterate, this would have been a fake program, for the sake of FUN and PLAY, but one other employees could tweak, add to, comment on, erase, whatever. That would have been an organic experience more in the vein of what a wiki really represents.

Still, I enjoyed playing the crazy on the "Sandbox" and hoped it illustrated a major short-coming in the validity of wikis.

No comments: